CO2COMPASS is a collaborative and currently volunteer-based initiative composed of diverse network partners, many of whom have been working in energy transition and climate protection for decades. In our eyes, the climate crisis is a manifestation of an erroneous trend, seen in species extinction or the regional and global increases in social injustice as well. This is why we act.
Our vision: we want to overcome the climate crisis together, to make transparent the connection between reality and our actions, to create and raise awareness for the consequences of our actions and inactions and for the direction we must take. We want to embrace responsibility: a responsibility that respects life. Our efforts are directed at municipalities, their citizens and companies—all pivotal agents on the path to a communal present and sustainable future.
CO2COMPASS strengthens pioneers—not as competitors looking to win or lose, but as models of encouragement. We strive to reach out to and involve as many people as possible from all different milieus. Instead of the social divide, the active collaboration to shape this transformation to sustainability—that is our vision.
CO2COMPASS stems from two initiatives that both began in the fall of 2019:
Dr. Ulrich Leibfried, CEO of the company Consolar Solare Energiesysteme GmbH (Consolar Solar Energy Systems Ltd.), developed the basic concept for CO2COMPASS in conversation with many people from numerous areas of climate action, sustainability and democracy.
Jörg Ortjohann, executive of Stiftung Energieeffizienz (Energy Efficiency Foundation), began to build a network—based on a database for the building sector—in order to develop the sustainable data platform: a platform that makes climate action across the spectrum measurable and transparent.
A network of companies, dedicated individuals and volunteer organizations working in the various domains of CO2COMPASS quickly emerged. Those involved are committed to a common code with the utmost goal of protecting the climate:
- The measuring service Comgy handles matters concerning automatic data collection and transfer.
- T-Systems developed an app to measure automobile emissions and helps incorporation in the CO2COMPASS-App.
- Leibfried Prozessbegleitung (Leibfried Facilitation) designs and develops the program's participation concepts.
- Prof. Dr. Claus Pegatzky of GREENFORT Partnership of Lawyers surveyed the legal possibilities to implement the program.
- Dr. Michael Heim—nature and progress—accompanies the organisational development of the initiative CO2COMPASS.
Our consultants, conversation partners and supporters include renowned energy experts and institutions, such as (as of July 24, 2020):
- KEK - Karlsruher Energie- und Klimaschutzagentur gGmbH (Karlsruhe Agency for Energy and Climate Protection Inc.)
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. Karsten Voss, Bergische Universität Wuppertal (University of Wuppertal)
- Dr. Thomas Bernard, Fraunhofer IOSB (Fraunhofer Institute of Optronics, System Technologies and Image Exploitation)
- Prof. Dr. Volker Wittwer, founding member and longtime deputy institute director of Fraunhofer ISE (Fraunhofer Institute for Solar Energy Systems)
- Hans-Josef Fell, EnergyWatchGroup
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Sonnenenergie e.V. (German Energy Society)